View : 124 Download: 0
Structural brain abnormalities in juvenile myoclonic epilepsy patients: Volumetry and voxel-based morphometry
- Structural brain abnormalities in juvenile myoclonic epilepsy patients: Volumetry and voxel-based morphometry
- Tae, Woo Suk; Hong, Seung Bong; Joo, Eun Yun; Han, Sun Jung; Cho, Jae-Wook; Seo, Dae Won; Lee, Jong-Min; Kim, In Young; Byun, Hong Sik; Kim, Sun I.
- Ewha Authors
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- KOREAN JOURNAL OF RADIOLOGY
- vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 162 - 172
- magnetic resonance (MR); image processing; juvenile myoclonic epilepsy; hippocampus; corpus callosum; frontal lobe
- KOREAN RADIOLOGICAL SOC
- SCIE; SCOPUS; KCI
- Objective: We aimed to find structural brain abnormalities in juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME) patients. Materials and Methods: The volumes of the cerebrum, hippocampus and frontal lobe and the area of the corpus callosum's subdivisions were all semiautomatically measured, and then optimized voxel-based morphometry (VBM) was performed in 19 JME patients and 19 age/gender matched normal controls. Results: The rostrum and rostral body of the corpus callosum and the left hippocampus were significantly smaller than those of the normal controls, whereas the volume of the JME's left frontal lobe was significantly larger than that of the controls. The area of the rostra] body had a significant positive correlation with the age of seizure onset (r = 0.56, p = 0.012), and the volume of the right frontal lobe had a significant negative correlation with the duration of disease (r = -0.51, p = 0.025). On the VBM, the gray matter concentration of the prefrontal lobe (bilateral gyri rectus, anterior orbital gyri, left anterior middle frontal gyrus and right anterior superior frontal gyrus) was decreased in the JME group (corrected p < 0.05). Conclusion: The JME patients showed complex structural abnormalities in the corpus callosum, frontal lobe and hippocampus, and also a decreased gray matter concentration of the prefrontal region, which all suggests there is an abnormal neural network in the JME brain.
- Appears in Collections:
- 의과대학 > 의학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.