View : 38 Download: 0
A potential role for Cx43-hemichannels in staurosporin-induced apoptosis
- A potential role for Cx43-hemichannels in staurosporin-induced apoptosis
- Hur, KC; Shim, JE; Johnson, RG
- Ewha Authors
- SCOPUS Author ID
- Issue Date
- Journal Title
- CELL COMMUNICATION AND ADHESION
- vol. 10, no. 4-6, pp. 271 - 277
- apoptosis; connexin; connexon; gap junction; hemichannel
- TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD
- SCI; SCIE; SCOPUS
- To address the role of gap junction hemichannels in apoptosis, the cell death induced by staurosporine (ST) was evaluated in wild type HeLa cells (HeLa-WT) and transfectants expressing either full-length connexin43 (HeLa-Cx43) or a C-terminal truncation of Cx43 (HeLa-DeltaCT). Cell death was measured with fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS), both DNA and nuclear fragmentation methods and assays for PARP and caspase 3. The ST-mediated cell death was accelerated in HeLa-Cx43 cells compared to HeLa-WT and HeLa-DeltaCT. To determine why HeLa-Cx43 cells were more susceptible to ST, the phosphorylation state and the localization of Cx43 protein within cells were examined using specific Cx43 antibodies. The phosphorylated forms of Cx43 were sharply reduced in HeLa-Cx43 cells treated with ST. Moreover, in ST-treated HeLa-Cx43 cells, Cx43 was mainly observed at the cell surface. In contrast, the truncated form of Cx43 found in HeLa-DeltaCT cells, which lacks many of the normal phosphorylation sites, was observed in the cytosol with ST treatment. To examine the hemichannels in the plasma membranes of ST-treated HeLa-Cx43 cells, several dye uptake methods using carboxyfluorescein and propidium iodide were employed. While the number of fluorescent cells did not change in HeLa-WT and HeLa-DeltaCT cells with ST treatment, the number of fluorescent HeLa-Cx43 cells increased more than ten-fold. These results indicate that the increases in cell surface Cx43 seen with immunofluorescence and the elevated hemichannel activities detected with dye uptake could help explain the accelerated cell death observed in ST-treated HeLa-Cx43 cells.
- Appears in Collections:
- 일반대학원 > 바이오융합과학과 > Journal papers
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.