View : 164 Download: 0
Learning English through Global Issues
- Learning English through Global Issues
- Other Titles
- Preparing students for student exchange programs : Developing communicative skills to address social issues around the world
- Issue Date
- 외국어교육특수대학원 TESOL학과
- 이화여자대학교 외국어교육특수대학원
- Candice A. MacDonald
- Many Korean students are struggling to develop communicative competence in English for their future careers. While they may be required to interact and communicate with native speakers in business or university settings, the English section of the Korean Scholastic Assessment Test (KSAT) only focuses on receptive skills which makes it difficult for students to practice productive skills (Choi, 2008). Additionally, due to the washback effect of the KSAT, students often have high TOEFL test scores (which is one of the requirements for exchange student programs); however, despite their high scores, they face difficulty in class discussion or social interaction with native speakers (Gilmore, 2011; Jun, 2001, pp. 5-6). This Textbook is designed to offer Korean students the opportunity to practice and develop the four skills to prepare them for student exchange programs. The goal of this Book is to engage students in global issues which will help them to notice, learn, and eventually participate in ‘natural communication tasks ’ as mentioned in Hwang (2005) (as cited in Dulay, Burt & Krashen, 1982).
This Textbook is aimed at university freshman or sophomore students (20 to 21 years old) who intend to apply for exchange programs. Their current English levels are between intermediate-high to advanced-low according to the ACTFL proficiency guidelines. The students are highly motivated to learn English for their future careers, and they are interested in global issues such as juvenile crime, animal testing, and military service. They are able to understand both main ideas and detailed information through various input such as audio-video files and news articles. They can freely express personal opinions on a variety of topics and can participate in discussion with their peers. In addition, they know how to give brief presentations or speeches.
- ☞ 이 논문은 저자가 원문공개에 동의하지 않은 논문으로, 도서관 내에서만 열람이 가능하며, 인쇄 및 저장은 불가합니다.
- Show the fulltext
- Appears in Collections:
- 외국어교육특수대학원 > TESOL학과 > Theses_Master
- Files in This Item:
There are no files associated with this item.
- RIS (EndNote)
- XLS (Excel)
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.